[Jacob-list] non-standard Jacobs

Brenalan Farm info at brenalanfarm.com
Mon Mar 23 15:14:26 EDT 2009

Lots of good points are being made. As disappointing as it is to have a ram not register, it is far more disappointing to find a gene showing up in future generations that could ruin many lambs. I have had two dogs from lines that were clear of hip dysplasia for several generations turn up with bad hips. Aside from wondering how I could have such bad luck... it convinces me that it is very important to keep the gene pool as clean as possible regarding deviation from the standard. I came to own a Romney/Corrie cross by accident. I've bred her to the Jacob ram so she could pay room and board with meat lambs. So far all but one of 6 has had Jacob eye patches and about 75+% black on a hefty frame. This year one was closer to 50/50 with big patches on eyes and nose PLUS 2 horns! I liked her ewe lamb's fleece last year (still do) so kept her and crossed her to the new J ram. Her lamb is about 70% white with 3 big face patches, black neck, a handful of spots mostly on the front half and 2 horns. The only sign this lamb isn't purebred is a little wool forward of horns. I think there are judges in some of our all-breed shows who'd give this guy the Jacob ribbon. But he will go to a freezer. We have one 3/4 J ewe lamb that is almost completely black with just a little white on the head. I think I am going to keep her for her fleece and cross her to a Jacob in the future just to see what happens.