[Jacob-list] OCD

Kate Barrett kbarrett at bmi.net
Mon Mar 23 15:01:47 EDT 2009

I had two ram lambs that I suspected had OCD from similar symptoms. Time
and expense prevented me from investigating further. It was simpler for me
to cull the ram and the ewe that were producing these lambs. Both lambs
that had the symptoms were weak at birth, but improved to a point. They
never developed as quickly as the other lambs, and although they could run
and play they could not really jump and often fell, and remained still for
long periods of time. At about 6 weeks I had to have the first one put
down. He suddenly went down and could not get back up for a period of over
6 hours. The second one lasted about 2 months with careful care, but
disappeared one night...just a small pile of wool was what was left. It
was odd because I have never before lost a lamb to predators...but since
he was probably unable to move, and was still very small, it could have
been eagles, hawks,owls, coyotes, foxes....I just will never know. I had
hoped both these rams would improve as they got older, but the opposite
was true.
At the very least I would be extremely cautious about selecting this ram
as breeding material. And yes, the two I lost were 4 horned ram lambs that
were phenotypically perfect. They were also very sweet lambs...most
probably due to all the extra care they got as youngsters. I am pretty
sure this extra care and coddling does not produce a safe breeding ram. I
have found that breeding rams should not be allowed to be coddled or
handled other than in a way that promotes extreme respect for their
Shepard.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs