[Jacob-list] question - effects of crop applications

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Mar 15 21:51:11 EDT 2009

Evelyn, I agree with all of Neal's info.. but wanted to follow up with a recommendation to remember there are Right To Farm laws in effect in most states... especially when the farmer was "There First" In this year of depressed milk prices..His historic Dairy farm may turn into a subdivision if he has to fight too many battles.. something I am sure isn't what anyone wants.

He likely has a pesticide applicators license, and follows label application.? The odor of many Herbicides are quite strong, but their safety level is also high.... Many of the stinkier sprays allow instant or quick grazing.?

IMHO, the neighborly thing to do is go ask a few questions about what he is using.. It may work out that he can help you with your pasture management.? Dont go with an accusatory demeanor... Instead go "pick his brain" and see if all of his experience could help you!

I am a County Extension Agent for CSU, and we recieve calls from folks in your situation often.... and my first bit of advise is to go talk to the farmer....

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO
www.MooseMtnRanch.com