[Jacob-list] hybrid lamb

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Tue Mar 10 12:47:36 EDT 2009

We're having an unusual lambing this year - very sporatic, and all singles!
I keep thinking that one of these years I'll have a nice, calm lambing
season - but I'm not holding my breath.

We have a first time mother who does not want her lamb. The lamb (Delia
Louise according to my daughter) was born last Thursday. We are bottle feeding
the little ewe (a single), while keeping her in a pen with her Mom. We kept
them in a "jug" type shelter for a day, but the Mom kept butting the lamb
and wouldn't let her nurse. In fact, we never saw her nurse. My daughter
found the lamb in a corner of the pasture, and Mom grazing WAY down the hill. So
now they're in a larger pen but still separated from the flock. The lamb
stays close to the Mom, following her around, and we feed the lamb four times a
day. We have bottle fed before, but with a ewe that had died, so there was
no contact with the Mom. So this one is a hybrid lamb - bottles and Mom both.

At what point would it be okay to let Mom and lamb out with the rest of the
flock? I'm afraid that once they're in the flock it will be very hard to
catch the little one to bottle feed her, so I need her to be mostly on grass
before I try it. I've read that you can wean lambs after 25 days or so, but I'd
like to get your experience. We usually leave Mom and lamb together until
Mom gets really tired of nursing and does the weaning herself.

Should I try to supplement with a creep feed, or something else to encourage
the little one to eat solids? They have lots of fresh hay available, plus a
few green blades of grass are courageously sprouting up.

A Tractor Supply just opened down the road from us, and I could use an
excuse to go explore!

Thanks!

Kathey