[Jacob-list] horn question

Lorraine Nielsen fourwinds at gotsky.com
Sun Mar 8 16:31:20 EDT 2009

It's wonderful hearing about all the lambing going on. We don't lamb until
May this year, so all of your pictures on your websites are helping build
excitement.

For Evelyn--We were first-time lambers last year. I remember thinking my
ewes looked due way before they actually delivered. Udders often harden
before birth and some ewes will look pink for a long time.

I have a couple of questions about horn growth: I have a 10-month old
4-horn ram who tore one of his lower horns apart from his head (don't know
how he did it!) I was successful in stopping the bleeding and he seems
okay. Should I let the horn slough off, or remove it? Will another grow
back, given his age?

Lorraine Nielsen
Four Winds Farm
Crescent Mills, CA