[Jacob-list] big scare

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Wed Mar 4 08:32:42 EST 2009

On Monday, I needed to give one of the ewes a shot. I put a rope halter on her - the kind that is one continuous rope and tightens to fit. I use the nylon halters that buckle on for most things, but the slip halter is handy and abit easier to put on while holding the sheep in the one hand. I tied the end of the halter to a panel, gave the shot, and slipped the halter off the ewe. Being rushed and not thinking, I left the halter tied to the panel.
A bit later, I came back to the barn. Zevon was sleeping in a corner and his mother was hollaring at him. When I checked him, I found him with the halter around his neck - the part that tightens when you pull. This story could have had a tragic ending, but it appears that Zevon decided to just take a nap rather than fight the halter around his neck. Upon release, he ran to nurse and then went bouncing away with the other lambs.
I know the danger of leaving ropes dangling around horned sheep, but I was in a rush. I don't think I'll forget again!

Linda

http://www.patchworkfibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep, Handspun Yarn