[Jacob-list] Worming lambs

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Fri Jun 19 19:09:03 EDT 2009

I had a lamb last year that was severely anemia. I couldn't find any
iron supplements for livestock anywhere nearby, so used iron tablets
from Walmart. The tablets were 65 mg, equivalent to 325 mg of ferrous
sulfate. The dosage of ferrous sulfate for sheep (according to The
Veterinary Drug Handbook) is .5 to 2 g orally per day for two weeks. I
gave her two tablets a day for two weeks and saw an improvement in
eyelid color within three days and an improvement in attitude and
appetite in just a couple of days.

I realize that giving people medicine to animals is not always
recommended, but sometimes you have to go with what you have available.
Waiting for an order to be delivered did not seem prudent in this case.
If you have easy/quick access to livestock medications, then that should
be your first choice.

Linda

--
http://www.patchworkfibers.com