[Jacob-list] Mutton sausage

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Jan 20 19:07:29 EST 2009

I've made chorizo at home. It's one of my favorites. I sometimes make a pound of sausage at a time. Start with thawed ground lamb/old ram/old ewe, mix in the spices, let sit over night (or two) in the refrigerator and it's ready. I like different kinds of sausages for different things and don't really want to make 30 lbs of one kind.

Linda

> We just spent $242 at the butchers for sausage. I took two very old

> wethers in, we had to downsize. I had half made into bulk chorizo

> sausage

> and the rest made into German links and chorizo links. Why so much

> chorizo? I want to try some Basque recipes; even though a lot of

> the

> recipes are made with pork chorizo. The Basque sheepherders worked

> in the

> West many years ago. The largest population is here in Idaho.

> Here's a

> good cookbook, cheap and easy to read. Take a look at how to make

> "Lamb

> Fries" (also known as Rocky Mountain Oysters).

> BASQUE Cooking and Lore by Darcy Williamson, 2002. Caxton Press,

> Caldwell,

> Idaho. Available at www.amazon.com.

> Cathy Partridge

> Moscow, Idaho