[Jacob-list] horn regrowth on adult ram

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Tue Dec 8 18:58:06 EST 2009

In September my two year old four horned ram had a lateral knocked loose
in a ram fight. The horn was hanging loosely attached amid lots of blood
- pretty much sheared off at the head. Awhile back, I had good luck with
taping an injured lateral back on an 8 month old ram lamb. Since
Belvedere has already passed registration and had proven himself as a
sire, I elected to catch him up and remove the horn. This horns was
sheared off pretty much at the head. I did not expect it to regrow. It's
pretty looked like a scab for the last three months. I caught him up
today and there is definite horn material growing - about 1/2" worth. I
seriously doubt he'll ever have much of a lateral on that side, but
wonder what experience others might have had with horn regrowth on a
young adult ram that sheared off a lateral. By sheared off, I mean
including the core.

Linda
--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>