[Jacob-list] generations...

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sat Dec 5 06:39:40 EST 2009

One of the good things about having all those records is you know the
history. On the other hand, the more times PEOPLE have chosen for some
traits and against others, you are trusting the PEOPLE, for that is how most
standardized breeds came into being, and most of them are fairly dumb,
fairly docile, many have problems with foot rot, have trouble counting
(reject second twins, need help with lambing, etc. If you know that the
people making the choices are making choices FOR the traits you want in your
animals, then having many generations' worth of breeding selection is a good
thing. But if they are making the choices on the basis of their wants and
not the needs of the breed, then it could be detrimental to have so many
deliberate choices against what might happen if the sheep ran in flocks and
did their own thing. Or not, depending on what happened when the sheep ran
wild. Some of the nicest sheep I've seen have been the Huntsberger sheep,
who basically ran wild on an island off the coast of Maine for years and
years. The ones who were not disease resistant, who had trouble lambing,
who couldn't survive on seaweed and pine branches and scrub grass, didn't
survive at all. There was some real natural selection going on there.
Jamie did add occasional rams, but as he couldn't always catch the old ones
or all the lambs, since there was only a very primitive corral, one never
knew just what ram won the game and bred the ewes, or if many bred them.
One of the reasons (I think) jacobs are what they are is that for many
generations they were park sheep, running as wild as deer on great estates,
doing their own thing. They DIDN'T become like many standardized breeds.
In my flock, I prefer adding the occasional FF if it is a sheep whose
characteristics fit the breed standard and if I like the look of the flock
it came from...

Both sides of the discussion have their merits...You just need to decide
what works best for you, and for the breed, in general, and go for it.

I've seen Lasell's sheep, and in fact, bought two, before she was
registering...I like what I've seen at her place. I like her fleeces (I've
helped her skirt them for a couple of years, and have sold many for her at
shows.) I like the fact that most of those years, she had only Lasseau ewes
and added a ram here and there, and that her flock basically runs wild on
their property. She has recently added a really good ram, who was mine
before she was Megan Watrous', and came from Royal Unzicker, whose eye for
good stock is pretty incredible. The Captain has added really great fleece
to otherwise very good fleece, and the evidence of improvement is
remarkable. Were it me, I'd snap up that lamb of Lasell's before someone
else does, adding some great old genetics, some good history, and some
diversity to your flock.