[Jacob-list] generations...

Zach Oaster zoaster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 01:29:54 EST 2009

Hello all,

My wife Lindsay and I recently started our flock of jacobs with 3 ewes
from Gary Anderson. Two of them are E generation, and one is D. Their
lambs in the spring will all be E (they are being bred right now to a
D generation ram on-loan from Gary).

Lasell Bartlet and I were chatting about the value of moving the
generations forward vs. just breeding good sheep. Lasell put it this
way, "...for some it might certainly be a selling point -- but not
sure what exactly it proves"... she talked about how she had been
breeding good sheep for years, and only recently started to register
some of them. She posed the question, which I will now pass along to
the experts here in the group, "what might be the value of E (or
later) generation versus FF generation Jacobs."

The reason the conversation started in the first place was because I
was hesitant to buy a really nice C generation ram from Lasell because
it would "set back" the offspring of my ewes (generationally...
otherwise, the ram is awesome). If my goal is to responsibly breed
good sheep that are continually bettering the breed, should I concern
myself with generation?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

PS... Lasell approves of me asking the question with her name
attached... she was going to ask if I didn't.
Zach Oaster
zach at fattoaster.com
Visit Zach's worship resource and blog site: http://www.fattoaster.com
Visit Zach & Lindsay's farm blog: http://fattoasterfarm.wordpress.com