[Jacob-list] Cull Ewes

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 15:23:14 EST 2009

While I agree that we will narrow down the % of culls.. I can see that, at least in my herd... Completely honest here.. I would always anticipate a few culls per year. We are running 60-70 Jacobs right now. Even breeding perfect to perfect (as if there is such an animal) but lets rephrase that and say, breeding my very best ram to my very best ewe..... I can anticipate that I could see a cull offspring from that mating..... Slipped eye patch, poor markings, or an unfortunate horn set.. or as I experienced this year.. a PHENOMENAL ewe lamb, out grew everyone, Won at SEVERAL shows with Excellent structure,awesome markings and a fleece that was to die for... She was a Hermaphrodite! and she is currently in my own freezer!

But in a breed like our own, I think culls are an ongoing problem, even with deep culling, as our diverse breed has oddball genetics.... and that oddball will be a cull in most situations!

Paul, I do truly believe that if we cull deep each year, we will have a lower % of culls based on structure.. But honestly,... I don't know if I will always get 100% perfect horn sets and markings in addition to the fiber and structure requirements I have!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn. Ranch
Bennett, CO