[Jacob-list] Cull Ewes

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 13:19:06 EST 2009

Just curious how everyone else handles their cull ewes?

We butcher ours, as I feel that if I did not consider them quality enough to be used in my own flock, I certainly don't want them running around with my name on them, registered or not.

I was curious if I am being too ruthless with this as I have heard others gasp when I told them we only kept a handful of ewe lambs for sale, and those that don't sell are still quality enough that I would keep them as replacement ewes. And if I am indeed being ruthless, what others would do with the cull type ewe lamb?

Of course we Cull twice as deep with our ram lambs, and keep a rare one with a super personality AND fleece as a wether....but a good many go in freezers!

I market mine as butcher lambs, for $1 a pound and then they pay for processing. So the buyer is usually paying $100 to $125 for my cull ewe lambs fully processed, and a bit more for ram lambs.

I am just curious what the norm for our breed is?!?! And if I am out of line!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn. Ranch
Bennett, CO
www.MooseMtnRanch.com