[Jacob-list] We're staying the same

Shannon Phifer kenleighacres at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 13:07:02 EDT 2009

I meant to respond to Linda's question earlier, but I wasn't sure where we stood!  This year has been crazy with late additions and late lambs - we lambed in January, February, March, May, and July!  I wouldn't recommend this.  I just counted up how many ewes ended up lambing and it is the same we are breeding this year - 31.  All of the ewes are staying with the rams for 2 cycles and then we are pulling rams and no more ewes are going to be added :)  I want to go back to our normal lambing schedule!  I also learned that I like lambing in January/February.  Our weather is mild and the grass is lush and green when the lambs are ready to start eating.  The later lambs didn't grow as well as our earlier lambs.  We put our breeding groups together on Friday and already have a few bred (we use marking paint).  We are using 5 rams this year (which is an increase) and I am really excited about the lambs.  The rams are - Magic Moon Junior,
Kenleigh's Wrangler, Patchwork Abraham, Green Water Julian, and Kenleigh's Reno.  You can see pictures of all of them on our blog - www.kenleighacres.wordpress.com

I have enjoyed reading about what others are doing and I am very happy to see that others are staying the same or increasing.

Shannon Phifer
Kenleigh Acres Farm
www.kenleigh-acres.com
That'll Do Photography