[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 61, Issue 14

Heather Hettick hettick1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 09:41:05 EDT 2009

--Linda asked:

>I'm curious as to who is downsizing, staying the same, or increasing

>flock size.

I am staying the same with Jacobs - 9 ewes and a ram. I culled two older/problem ewes this year but kept two lambs. My overall numbers are going up because I'm keeping two Icelandic ewe lambs and 1 ram lamb and got another ewe in a trade - 2 rams and 9 ewes, plus we have one Jacob/Tunis ewe who my husband likes.

I'm not doing well selling the registered Jacobs this year. Two registerable ewes and two rams are going for meat along with my crosses later this week.

I do have a nice new ram lamb and am looking forward to some pretty Jacobs next year though.

Luckily we got a great deal on hay at the local auction. My husband bought two loads at $100 a ton. One batch was so/so but the other was good and we got two more loads from the same farmer, but we paid him a better price per bale.