[Jacob-list] Making items from sheep horns

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 22 23:26:31 EDT 2009

Greetings,
Over the years I have accumulated several sets of horns from dead
Jacob sheep wethers (freezer sheep) and one 13-yr-old ram who died of
natural causes. I remember there is someone on this list who makes items
from horns. I am interested in any information. I have one very nice set
of two curved horns from a 12-yr-old wether. These would be excellent
handles for walking canes and it won't be too many years before I will need
a cane ... or two. If the canes come out really nice I will use them now
<grin>.

Anyway, I was wondering if I was suppose to remove the horns at the
base of the skull so that the bone is included? I didn't do that and now I
just have the outer part which slipped off the bone as the head decomposed.
Was I suppose to saw the horn off the skull immediately after death? How
strong are these hollow outer sheaths? Should they be filled with
something before inserting on top of a walking stick or will the handle
(horn) remain hollow? What is a good product to polish the horns? Any
other information is appreciated. I will also search online for any info.

Thanks,
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho