[Jacob-list] Copper DEFINCIENCY

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sat Apr 18 21:49:30 EDT 2009

I had a lamb this year with symptoms similar to those you described and I saw in your video when this lamb was born. I call it the "wobbly lamb" syndrome. in this case it seemed to be whole body, not just front or back end, as I've sometimes seen before. I was talking to the vet about other issues but asked about this lamb. One thought was oxygen deficiency at birth as can happen in a difficult birth. I was trying to remember (but with 70+ lambs in 3 weeks I wasn't clear on all the birth details !) and I think this was one that I found partly out of it's yearling mom and she was walking around before she got it out all the way. So it's very likely that it was a birth problem. Anyway, I made sure it got colostrum and kept the mom and lamb in a jug for several days. Later I kept them in a pen with just a few ewes and lambs so it wouldn't have to deal with all the rest of the flock. The lamb didn't get any better and eventually I put it down.

As for copper--A few years ago, two years in a row, I had a ewe die within 2-4 weeks of lambing. Each time the ewe got very weak and lost interest in food and within about 24 hours she died. Necropsies showed copper toxicity. It turns out that these two ewes were mother and daughter and I don't have any more of their offspring here. I've never had any others with copper toxicity and I thought it was interesting that these were closely related. I never could figure out a source of copper--I don't feed grain (other than enough COB to get them to learn to like grain as lambs so they will all run to the barn when I shake the bucket). I have only sheep salt out, etc.

My understanding is that blood copper levels in healthy sheep don't mean much because it's only when the liver gets an overload of copper than it finally "dumps" into the blood and the animal gets very sick and dies. Or the liver is building up high levels and then additional stress (lambing, etc) causes the excretion of the copper in the blood. Otherwise the liver keeps building up the copper but you don't see evidence in the blood. That's one reason that a necropsy of a sheep that dies of something else can be useful if it shows copper building up in the liver.

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com