[Jacob-list] Copper DEFINCIENCY

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Sat Apr 18 10:17:28 EDT 2009

Linda, if folks send me a reply privatley, I will relay the info to you without their name.....But I cant imagine anyone being embarrased about this as it is truly a freak ordeal, and as the vet said, usually occurs in flocks that are well tended to, as we are feeding the correct thing to our sheep in feed and mineral form.

The info on this is not really current,? so I was hoping to get some experienced shepards's stories.

I lso have learned that our breed is LIKELY very tolerant to copper levels....It appears the more selectivley bred the breed is, the more susceptable they are to toxicity from the copper... Down Breeds (Mostly the common meat breeds) are VERY sensitive as are te Texel a HEAVILY muscled meat breed from the Netherlands) ? Finewools tend to me a bit more tolerant, and Finnsheep are Highly tolerant.? Obviously we have no data on minor breeds such as ours.

I believe I am going to have copper levels piulled on a few more lambs to determine if I need to give a copper injection, as problems can show up late as well.

THe simple answer is my hay may be high in Molybendum, which may be tying up the available copper for the minimum needs of the sheep

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
?