[Jacob-list] thin ewe

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Tue Sep 2 16:00:56 EDT 2008

I just had a ewe put down and necropsied because she became emaciated without me ever knowing it. The ewes are all in good condition on pasture and one day I saw this one behind the others and she looked gaunt. When I got my hands on her and felt under 7 months of wool I realized that she was skin and bones. The vet had a few ideas, but no matter the problem the ewe wasn't going to be in any condition to breed and wasn't likely to stay in the flock. I could have the vet put her down and dig a hole or pay $100 for necropsy and get some info. The necropsy showed kidney failure. The pathologist and my vet explained that it was possibly due to an "overzealous response" to a previous infection--an antigen-antibody complex that builds up in the kidney. I tried to take notes while the vet was talking--that's the best I can explain it.

When the vet first came out and we were talking about reasons for the ewe's condition she mentioned kidney failure and cancer as possibilities.

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com