[Jacob-list] Sterns/ communication

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Oct 19 19:35:01 EDT 2008

I started this thread with a question on Lonestar. You are dead on re: how important communication is. It is not the fact that my pelt is not ready that annoys me. It is the fact that they said it would be ready and shipped in July, but that's the last I heard from them. An email to them last week came back with this notice four days ago:

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was
not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time
a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configura-
tion parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but
it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not
have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 2 days and 0 hours.
Host lonestarfurdressing.com is not responding."

The same message came again today.

As a small producer, I certainly want to hear from my sheep/yarn/fiber/etc customers about any problems. Good news is always welcome, too :-).

As a customer, I suppose I have gotten spoiled by dealing with other Jacob Sheep breeders. Buying sheep sight unseen is a bit nerve wracking for me and I do tend to ask for lots of pictures (and then lots more .. "would you mind zooming into that curve on the horn?" "how about a close up of his testicles?" "could you peel that eyelid up abit?" "send pictures of his/her mother/sister/daughter"). I don't expect quite the communication that I've come to expect from Jacob Sheep breeders - but I do expect SOME communication!

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com
I think the thread we have going about Sterns makes a huge point about how important communication is. When there are unhappy customers and their concerns are not answered, they are left thinking nobody cares. Sure- there isn't much Sterns can do to replace pelts, and he probably wishes they had more insurance when the fire happened... but they CAN tell their customers what to expect (e.g. when they will see their deposits refunded) and then live up to what they promise post-fire. As small producers, I think it is important to tell our customers that if they have any problems we want to know and make it right. The customer who will tell us what went wrong gives us a chance to make sure we don't send the same problem to a bunch of other customers either.

Brenda