[Jacob-list] Shipping Salted Pelts

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Fri Oct 3 11:04:23 EDT 2008

I used to roll up the pelts and stuff them into a feed sack. Three or four will fit. Then I took another feed sack (inside out) and put it over the other end and taped it like crazy. You can ship that way via USPS or UPS. However, the last time I went to the UPS store the manager told me that any odd shaped package always costs more to ship than a box. I have never bought a box in my life--it just seems that I should be able to find one that fits. But each of my 4 bags of pelts would cost over $70 to ship now. I bought 2 boxes and was able to put 2 of my sacks in each box. The shipping was not much more for a box holding two of the sacks than it would have been for one sack. The UPS guy said that the bags aren't a bad idea even if you use a box because it helps contain the salt, etc.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com