[Jacob-list] winter shearing

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 26 13:32:46 EST 2008

Linda and all....

Thoughts on this easily vary from region to region, farm to farm, etc.

There are so many things to consider. I am sure the cleanest, nicest
fleeces are those that come off prior to the winter months of feeding
hay. Having everyone sheared prior to lambing is really nice, but does
not always happen for us. I love it when it does!

Comfort of the sheep is a major concern for us, not only in winter but
also in summer. Winter in the southeast can be quite variable, but I
expect that a few days could be found in any of the winter months in
which shearing could be accomplished ahead of the "norm" (March-April).
All of our animals (not just sheep) tend to handle (even prefer) cold
_way_ more than heat. Heat of summer can start as early as May and last
until early October. Some of our sheep handle heat better than others,
but the biggest drawback for me, living where I do, would be those three
extra months of wool growth to carry by the time we hit the temps of
July, August and September if shearing were done in winter months. If I
lived somewhere else, with shorter and more moderate summers, and had
adequate shelter for everyone after shearing, I'd probably love to do it
earlier than we do.

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm, NC