[Jacob-list] winter shearing

schmick54 at aol.com schmick54 at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 23:12:05 EST 2008

We shear 6 weeks before lambing. Lambing for us in N. Colorado begins the second week in March. We put lots of deep straw in our sheds to keep our girls warm. It can get pretty damned cold and sometimes we'll get a wonderful "springy" day for shearing followed by icy cold and snowy a day or two later. Usually they shiver a little during the first week. Thereafter they get used to the cold and don't seem to mind at all.

I have read (The Shepherd) that 7 weeks prior to lambing brings a big and healthy crop. December shearing might not be a bad idea, since your lambing will be staggered. Can you "stagger" the shearing ? Can you "crotch" the early ones ?

?We usually shear the gang in February and one year,a week before lambing(1st day of Spring) it snowed 32"? !!!

Mick