[Jacob-list] Dog Attack

Kate Barrett kbarrett at bmi.net
Thu Nov 13 14:51:06 EST 2008

Sue:
I am so sorry for the loss of your ewe, and the loss of the children's
dog. People just don't seem to understand the responsibility that dog
ownership takes. I have a neighbor about 1/2 mile away, whose young
German Shorthair loves to chase my sheep. So far he has not hurt any. This
has been going on for a couple of years now. Since I work my sheep with a
border collie, the sheep generally pen themselves in by the barn when this
dog starts bothering them. The barn is by the road, so other people have
seen this dog harassing the sheep as well, I get calls at work about it.
When I ask my neighbor to control his dog, his reply is always the
same...shoot the dog. Well I like his dog pretty well, and am not able to
do this, especially since he hasn't ever actually harmed any sheep. It is
unfortunate that these folks don't understand how to train, or apparently
how to pen their dog:) I certainly hope something doesn't go wrong for
this dog, but don't imagine anyone will shoot the dog until I lose a ewe
or lamb. I am very disappointed with their attitude, but it pretty well
sums up the non- livestock owners understanding of dog ownership. My heart
goes out to you.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs.