[Jacob-list] Dog Attack

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Wed Nov 12 07:10:48 EST 2008

Just wanted to share a story and perhaps helpful information. A month ago on a Sat. we discovered a large Siberian Husky with our sheep, chasing them and biting their necks. Fortunately we were able to intervene and there was no serious damage. The police were called and the dog was removed from our property to the Humane League. He was reclaimed by his owners, the Human League would not tell me the owner's name due to "confidentiality" concerns but they did inform me of the street name where this dog lived..........a street down the road from us. (We live in southeast PA in a rural area but also many residences in the area.) I contacted the owner to explain what happened - the Humane League NEVER informed the owner that the dog was found attacking sheep - I made it quite clear to the owner what the dog had been doing and my concerns. Incidentally, the dog was a large Siberian Husky, well cared for, and absolutely a beautiful animal. Last weekend my husband and I were out of town, but a friend was staying in our home to care for our animals, etc.........on Friday morning it was discovered that one of our ewes had been killed - many bites to the neck and her neck was broken - and a spring ewe lamb was also injured and had to be put down. Again the police were called, they took pictures, the officer contacted the Pennsylvania Dog Warden with the information and the officer contacted the dog's owners, who freely admitted that the dog had gotten away from them @ the same time the attack had taken place. My husband and I visited the dog's owners upon our return and they were very remorseful, wanted to pay restitution, etc.....although it was obvious their sons loved this dog and they were visibly upset. The Dog Warden contacted them and this family then signed the dog over to him - he then delivered the dog to the Humane League for euthanizing. The Dog Warden informed us of the following:
1) Most of the attacks that he sees like this involve Siberian Huskies
2) If a dog attacks once, he will always return and attack again
3) If a dog is on my property and is threatening my physical being or the lives of my animals, under the law I can legally shoot the dog
4) A dog who attacks sheep is not necessarily an aggressive dog toward humans - this dog was never vicious toward us or toward his family, he obeyed commands and was friendly -- apparently his only vice was that he liked to "taste" sheep!!

It was a sad situation for all involved -- the adult ewe who was killed was a favorite, very tame, and the flock leader. The ewe lamb had beautiful markings, 4H, perfect in every way. And there are two boys in the neighborhood who are grieving the loss of their family pet - a playful friend who loved to play ball and romp in their wading pool......but whose primal instincts overcame his domesticity.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft