[Jacob-list] New to Jacobs

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:21:54 EST 2008

I don't have any sheep that are un-docked, but I do leave cover past the
vulva (when docking lambs, that usually ends up 1/2in. past where the flaps
come to a point). My only suggestion would be that if the bottom or sides of
the tails are wet to the skin with urine, or have poop berries all over
them, to shave/ trim with hand shears/ heavy scissors, which ever you have.
It makes the tails lighter, and prevents any issues, also makes breeding a
cleaner ordeal, plus it's not surgical! I routinely dag my sheep before
breeding (only got 1/2 done this year), and it just seems to keep things
cleaner. A good portion of the sheep don't need it, in fact most would be
fine without it, but if they are wet to the skin you might see some
problems. If not from flies, from urine burn. Dags are definitely a good
thing to keep records on too. I'm trying to select for entirely dagless
sheep in my flock, keeping the ideal of low maintenance in mind. So, I used
a ram who sheds out the sides of his tail, and his belly on my ewes that are
too woolly. It will be interesting to see what we get this next lamb crop!
I think I look forward to lambing even more than Christmas!

Good luck, and congratulations on the new sheep! I think you'll be glad that
the breed you have chosen is the Jacob. So far I haven't raised, or worked
with any others that really compare... well, I do have a soft spot for
Churros! I'm going to agree with everyone, and hope that you register them!

Once again, good luck and welcome!

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep