[Jacob-list] New to Jacobs

Chris and Tina Griffin griffin45 at live.com
Thu Nov 6 14:11:54 EST 2008

Hello All,
My wife and I are new to sheep and goats. We were just going to get some goats, but the couple that we were buying from also wanted us to see and maybe purchase a pair of Jacob sheep. As most of you can imagine, when we saw them we just had to have them. It took me a couple of days to get separate pastures set up, but as of tomorrow we will have been the proud owners of a pair of beautiful unregistered Jacobs. I am not sure why they are not registered. I have been through all the information that I can find and they are, as far as I can tell, quite pure. My biggest problem right now is that neither of the Jacobs were docked. I am thinking that this is going to be one of the biggest problems that I am going to face. They are both yearlings, born in early spring. Should I dock now or leave them be. If I don't dock, what do I do to make sure that the tails and hocks don't get invaded by maggots and other little nasties? Thanks for the help in advance.

My wife and I own a small farm in south-central Virginia. We have 7 goats (2 Nubians, 2 Nubian/Boers and 3 Nigerian Dwarves), 2 Jacob sheep, and an assortment of 32 chickens.

Have a Great and Blessed Day,
Chris and Tina Griffin