[Jacob-list] eye split

Hirschi Monika mjphirschi at dplanet.ch
Sat May 31 09:30:19 EDT 2008

Last December I imported a 4h ram and let him run with a 2h Jacob ewe which is out of at least 2 generations of 2horns. Also he bred an older black ewe I got before having Jacobs. She has no horns and sure no Jacobs blood. The ram lamb she got shows a good eye and one with a split. The Jacob ewe gave birth to a 4h ram lamb two days ago.He also has a good eye and one with a split. I am not able to tell you if it is Type 2 or more. My ram has perfect eyes. Can you tell me if I have consider this ram like one which I should take out of my breeding program? He only had 2 ram lambs from two ewes, so not really many lambs yet. Can it be just bad luck? He was a new bloodline.

I have a 4h ewe, which had a 2horn ram lamb. This 2h ram would fit to most of my ewes, but not to his mother. I am thinking about breeding
the 4h ram to the 4h ewe. Is it to much risk?

Another question: Do you see split eyes more in ram lambs than it ewe lambs? I got three 4h ewe lambs from other rams and none has a problem with the eyes.

Thanks for your reply
Monika