[Jacob-list] ram aggression

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Sat May 24 13:12:42 EDT 2008

I have about 50 rams, they're all quite nice. They frankly like kisses
and hugs, most of them. I find that most of their poor behavior occurs
around ages 2-3, just like any adolescent. If they get beyond that age
without developing any really bad habits, they're fine. They don't do
well, for the most part, if they are kept alone. They are social animals.
They also do better if the girls are near by, keeps them calm. I think
breeding has something to do with - my sheep have always been gentle and
calm - many people have expressed surprise at how calm they are. I
discourage headbutting, even with each other. I don't like fixing
boo-boos if they can be avoided. I use "no" with my sheep, I might tie
them (i.e. with a lead rope and halter to a post somewhere separate, or I
hold them (I love horns, they're so useful) next to me for a few minutes
until they calm down. Massage and back scratching seems to help a bit
sometimes. Everyone has a name and I use the names so they often know who
I'm talking to.
I have ram, Skye, who when he was about 2, I could yell "Skye, no!"
across a field and he would stop what he was doing (butting another sheep
likely) and look at me. He has huge horns and lets me pull wads of ear
wax out of his ears every once in a while (he has tiny ears and lots of
wax for some reason). Out of 50, there are only 2 that may bonk me, but
none of that running and butting stuff ever goes on. And if Dusty or
Banana-bell (got the sex wrong before I named him and he seemed used to
the previous name of Annabelle) bonk, it's once, only me, never strangers
(thus far), and because I'm petting someone else instead of them. As it
would happen, in the course of writing this, James and Edward started
banging heads, so I had to go out and get them to stop. James is now
eating and Edward is lying down. I'm not afraid of my animals and teach
them to be gentle with me and each other, just as I would a child. As
with children, I have found that if the behavior is accepted as normal,
they will do it,
just as head butting and butting in general is accepted as normal for
rams. It's not normal or acceptable at my house. It's just me and the
animals and I can't get injured, so they have to help with that. I'm also
not stupid with my animals. I know that they are strong and have very
powerful heads and necks. I watch my head and eyes especially when I'm
around them, but it doesn't prevent me from cuddling with them. I have 3
bottle ram lambs and they are probably the most docile of the bunch. I
also have an older ram who goes for walks with me (without halter or lead
rope). He's always been a very gentle soul. So, different strokes for
different folks. Say what you will about rams, but if I absolutely had to
choose between my rams and ewes, I might just pick my boys. They're much
cuddlier than the girls as a general rule.
Best,
Kelley