[Jacob-list] ram aggression

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri May 23 21:28:57 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/22/2008 7:36:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
info at brenalanfarm.com writes:

> I'd be interested in hearing from the group about how much aggression is

> "normal" in adult Jacob rambs. Rams older than yearlings. There was some recent

> butting in my neighborhood. I think we all know that it isn't smart to trust

> any ram not to butt... like never assuming the firearm is unloaded or the

> other driver won't make a mistake.

That said- how many rams do you think would butt a person in their field
given an

> easy shot at him or her?

We have kept 15-20 rams over the years; down to a dozen now. I go into a
four acre paddock where they are kept together on a rather regular basis but I
carry a spray bottle of straight vinegar as a weapon. A strong, stream spray is
sprayed at the nose and face of any ram that gets within about four feet and
I continue to spray the Aggressor until it turns and goes away.

Ram behavior is "somewhat predictable" within the ram flock. The aggressor
is generally transferring the normal behavior of trying to move up the social
rank. The "top ram" will defend himself but does not initiate butting
behavior. Butting is a move up the ladder behavior. I generally have to watch two
rams in particular but keep my eyes open for any sign of aggression. Ram lambs
are introduced to the ram flock after weaning; they know their place
immediately; or learn quickly. We have never kept a bottle baby ram.

I am looking for something like all of them or 10% or half. Just a general

> conclusion. And I was thinking of the "normal" ram that has been bred, not

> exceptions like bottle babies that are overly familiar with people. My

> limited experience has been that the rams are much more aggressive when they think

> they should be with the ewes (e.g. when ewes are probably cycling) and less

> so when the ewes are out of sight and mind, and more so as they get older. Is

> that a pattern others see

Rams are agressive in any situation wheere it appears that their immediatye
drive for satisfaction is thwarted or threatened by a "top" banana; feeding is
an especially tense situation and can last all year ... the presence of ewes
is not an excited drive for much of the year. The ewe doesn't cycle until the
solstice and the ambient air temp for the ram generally has to drop to abhout
70. In TX the breeding season is relatively short and rams and ewes here are
across double fenced pastures but can easily see and "communicate".

There is an excellent book on ram behavior by Geist that I would recommend.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Rd.
Lucas, TX 75002

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4&
?NCID=aolfod00030000000002)