[Jacob-list] activated charcoal

Brenalan Farm info at brenalanfarm.com
Sat May 10 12:48:29 EDT 2008

www.clintox.org/Pos_Statements/SingleDoseActivatedCharcoal.pdf

The above reference is a starting point for thinking about charcoal. I don't know everything about activated charcoal, but as a chemist-turned-shepherd... I'd caution anyone against pharmaceutical use of chemicals not intended for such. You have to consider both the quantity of contaminants and also the specific nature of the contaminants. I was a not quite so worried about aquarium sources in a pinch just because if it doesn't kill fish (which are very delicate) it is not likely to be extremely toxic to our sheep. But toxicity varies by species- for example- both fish and sheep are easily killed with copper dosages that don't bother some other species.

Keep in mind that charcoal is basically burned wood. Some types of wood are toxic, and I'd think about traces in the charcoal. (Our neighbor played fetch with his dogs using a stick from a cascara tree. Didn't kill the dog but his wife almost killed HIM. Vomiting isn't the only thing that can be "projectile!") The fact that a dog nibbled charcoal is not proof it is nutritious or therapeutic. They eat poop and road kill and ibuprofen too. Secondly, "activation" is very important for the charcoal to develop the surface area and porosity that binds the poison.

It is also important to keep in mind that charcoal doesn't bind every toxin, and can let some be reabsorbed. Also that its effectiveness is variable and appears to diminish over time after ingestion of the poison. And you have to consider how to get the right amount into the stomach and NOT into lungs. A vet can pump the stomach first in dogs- I'd think they could in sheep. But quite likely an antidote or drug to support the sheep until the poison wears off is in order. And if the vet knows a sheep can't be saved, you have the chance to euthanize to prevent further suffering. I love all the advice and tips shared here, but think it is a mistake to not call the vet in a real emergency. And for all the vets who seem to have forgotten the "sheep" chapter in the textbook, most know a lot about poisoning and similar problems common to all animals.

Brenda