[Jacob-list] Ok I'm not going to give up!

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 27 15:35:04 EDT 2008

Thank you to everyone that wrote to me. I think I needed moral support as much as anything. This was the first time I've ever tried to milk a ewe so soon after lambing so I guess I wasn't really sure what colostrum should look like. My little guy finally stood up at 26 hours old. He didn't have the hang of getting milk from mom until early this morning. We gave him some "Boost" and replacer yesterday just to keep him going and I think it really helped. He was smaller than his brother at birth but last night they weighed the same and had both gained. The thing we noticed and what really pleased me was that even though they were both given a bottle they would stop drinking from the bottle and walk over to mom - so even though it hurts, I guess it is best that they like mom better than me!

We're tentatively scheduled to get xrays done on my other lamb with the bad leg. I was very encouraged by the comments from some of you that had gone through lambs with broken legs and they ended up ok.

It is such a difference in attitude between meat sheep people and us. Some of my friends won't invest more than $25 into a sheep - more than that and it is "off to the freezer or dogs"! I look at it as part of an investment. If I have a ewe that will produce 10 - 15 lambs for me in her lifetime, that could potentially be $1,000 - $3,500+ (fleeces, breeding lambs, and freezer lambs) that she can make for me so why wouldn't I spend $100 for that?

Oh well, as you can tell I'm in a much better frame of mind now - thanks for all the encouragement I got from my friends out there.