[Jacob-list] Bummer lamb death

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 19:02:35 EDT 2008

The only thing that I can think of would be enterotoxemia (overeating
disease/ puply kidney). It can kill a lamb in less than 45min. Have they had
their CD&T's? I would think that bummer's would be more susseptable because
of the stress, and especially so if you feed larger amounts two to three
times a day. It's best to feed small amounts, about 2oz. about six times a
day and very gradually decrease the amount of feedings, and wean as soon as
possible. We wean ours at 30days. My vet reccomended giving the
CD&T vaccine at a week. I don't know what you could do for treatment, but
you should most likely call the vet. If you haven't disposed of the dead one
you should have a necropsy done, the cost could save future lambs. Sorry to
hear of your trouble, and good luck with the others.

Lynette Frick
IDEAL FARM
Jacob Sheep
www.idealjacobsheep.com