[Jacob-list] Bummer lamb death

CARL FOSBRINK carlfosbrink at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 18:44:36 EDT 2008

Carol,

Did the lambs ever get any colostrum? They need that for the first two or three days. After that milk re-placer is OK if you can't get goat milk from someone in your area. Right from the goat. Not pasteurized or anything.

Carl

Carol LUSSKY <sarbuddy at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
This has been a weird year for my lambs. I've had 2 die with their moms & three bummers (1 single & 1 set of twins). The twins are 4 days old today and last night both were doing fine. I fed them at 10 pm and both ate well and curled up to sleep afterwards. About 2 hours later the female awoke and started crying. I went to feed them again and found the male basically unresponsive. He was alive and breathing but pretty limp. He'd hold his head up but then put in back down and go back to sleep. I wrapped him in a warm towel and he died early this morning. They are being fed powdered lambs milk replacement. I really don't want to lose the other. What might be going on? Is there something I can give her to help either to prevent or to treat her if she starts acting the same way? This is only my second year to have lambs. Last year was a breeze compared to this year.

Any help or suggestions would be great. Oh, yes, they are inside the house, warm & dry, in a dog crate.

Thanks again

Carol in Illinois

Carl and Judy Fosbrink
www.4hornfarm.com