[Jacob-list] stillborn lambs

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Fri Mar 14 10:21:56 EDT 2008

A friend suggested I seek some ideas from this list.

It is lambing time and a disturbing time. Four ewes have lambed so
far, with 3 live lambs and 4 stillborn. One single live, one single
stillborn, two twins with one living (smaller) and one dead (larger)
and one of unknown origin, either a triplet or a single from a 5th
ewe. Altogether we have 9 ewes and from the looks of it, more lambs
coming.

I have read online about a variety of bacteria that kill the fetus
and depending on 'when' during the pregnancy the ewe is infected,
that determines whether it results in reabsorption of the fetus,
abortion, or still birth.

Aside from all coming out intact and healthy looking (albeit lifeless
and even non-responsive to CPR attempts on my part), they are large
lambs. The largest weighed 8 lbs which I think is big for Jacobs (the
other two I weighed were 7 and 7.5 lbs, didn't weigh the first
stillborn and haven't weighed any of the live ones). Our ewes aren't
particularly big from my estimate. And the surviving lambs from the
twins born were considerably smaller.

Our flock has pretty much had the same feed and water over the years.
Some of the hay this year was from some different fields but still
all local. I suppose the main change is that we sold our small herd
of Dexters cow who had shared grazing, hay, water, and shelter with
the Jacobs. And we sold our ram a few weeks ago.

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of some of you folks with
more experience than I. I am grateful for the nicely marked cute
little lively ewe lambs we have, and with more ewes due to pop, I am
hoping for more live births. We have not had a problem like this
before and my husband has had Jacobs for more than twenty years.

Lasell Bartlett
Vermont