[Jacob-list] Who and Where are the Show Flocks???????

Marguerite Van Beek pegvanbeek at msn.com
Mon Mar 10 14:47:03 EDT 2008

I think we addressed this sometime ago when I first started to show Jacob's. it can and always be a heated discussion between the Jacob breeders. I try to stay away from this but all honestly it is not right not to give an opinion when one is asked. I have my production ewes that I hold strong because of their lineage and I have my show stock that I take to shows. I find they are the best ambassadors for this breed. Regardless of the pros and cons. And I truly believe it benefits us all. When I submit a ram for registration it is almost like showing, is it not??? The ewes are not criticized as much but there are still limits to what is acceptable vs not acceptable traits. the comment that this breed would not survive if we continue to want show stock and I strongly disagree. I would rather have a flock that meet or exceeds the qualification of a Jacob than to have a flock that has no color, kemp fleece, horns forward/fused etc. I have found out that after having every imaginable lineage from the west to the east coast in my flock I have at the present time a flock that I am extremely proud of. Not all of them are "show winners" but to my family they all are.

And I might add one more thing when we go to shows we are extremely popular not so much with selling but promoting the breed because they are individuals and unique.

Peggy
Ridgecroft Farm