[Jacob-list] fleece question

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Mon Mar 3 00:11:53 EST 2008

I think that it is hard to predict for sure what the adult fleece will be like. I usually like the lambs with the fleece as you describe on the neck and shoulders--nice tight curls. But many of the lambs have that coarser looking black wool. I had one in particular last year that I thought was extreme in the coarseness of the spots--much more "hairy" looking than the other lambs. As it turns out that one didn't sell and I still have her. At shearing day her fleece was beautiful and sold while she was being shorn.

The fact that the front end looks different from the back end means that her fleece doesn't have the uniformity that a judge might like, but it may still be a great fleece. Wait awhile to evaluate her.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com