[Jacob-list] Any Advice... Sick Sheep

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 12:22:10 EDT 2008

A few weeks ago, we separated off some of the sheep to prepare for
weaning... Thankfully this ewe was in a small group that didn't have contact with the
rest of the flock!...

Last Saturday, I found one of my yearlings.. a normally personable yearling
ewe laying down when I put out hay..... Definitely not normal..Took her temp,
103.2 (slightly elevated, but in the normal range) but she did have a little
bit of a snotty nose... Put her in quarantine with her best buddy.. another
yearling ewe.... I knew she wouldn't handle complete isolation, so figured I
could deal with it best with her buddy..... We started her on Dura-Pen (Long
acting Penicillin with Benz) she spiked a 104.1 fever the next day and she
developed green watery scours, so she got a dose of Banamine and Pepto., then
on Monday the 2nd dose of Dura-Pen..... Still no improvement .Tuesday, we
started the LA-200 Her temp stayed at 102.7-103 The scours cleared up with
Pepto the 2nd day, but her attitude seemed pretty depressed and she had not
eaten much of anything since Saturday. Took her into the vet.. Her temp was
102.9 at the vet on Wed. nothing abnormal appearing... no snotty nose, and no
scours Fecal was normal with no parasites found. he had me start Naxel, and
also gave her a Dexmethazine (steroid) shot. We gave her doses of
Bio-Sponge orally, as well as electrolytes, and on Thursday she was no better, or
worse, I made her an oatmeal gruel and syringed it down her along with a good
dose of Lamb Oral drench. I forgot to add.. I had been giving her oral
Probiotics all along (Probios) We were gone all weekend.. and honestly would not
have been surprised if she didn't make it.... But she did. She has been
drinking water well all along..... I have NO OTHER sick sheep in the flock.. even
her buddy who has been in the pen with her all along. The sick one did have
a 104.0 fever last night, so we dosed her with Banamine again.... Vet is at
a loss of what to do next. More antibiotics? or?

Any advice?

2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)