[Jacob-list] Blue Eyes

Hobsickle at aol.com Hobsickle at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:45:09 EDT 2008

I don't know everything there is to know about eye color inheritance, but I
do know a couple things. In humans, eye color is way more complicated than
your High School Biology teacher may have led you to believe. Darker eye
colors are "dominant" to lighter eye colors, but it is not a complete dominance
(i.e., colors blend to make greens, hazels, etc.) and it is controlled by
multiple loci (i.e., several pairs of genes). Also, the relative number of blue
eyes in a population does not relate to the dominance or recessiveness of a
gene, but to the how common it was in the preceding generations. (For example
blue eyes are much more common in northern Europeans that in most of the
rest of the world.)

My gut feeling is that in Jacobs spotting genes can influence eye color.
I've got at least one sheep with a brown eye and a "spotted" eye--brown in some
areas and blue in others. I also wonder if the genes that contribute to
lilac might have some influence in eye color.

There you go--just a couple of comments. I'm sure there's more to be said
on the topic.

-Dan

2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)