[Jacob-list] Blue Eyes

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 11 12:01:19 EDT 2008

What has been your experience with blue eyes?

Remembering my genetics from high school (before DNA!) I thought blue eyes were recessive to brown. However, when I look at flocks with blue eyes, the blue eyes seem to be everywhere. Is that because they are being specifically being bred for blue eyes or is that just what has happened?

If a ram has one blue and one brown eye is turned out with all brown-eyed ewes - wouldn't the chances of all brown-eyed lambs be the norm? What do you think the chances are that the blue/brown combination would show up in the lambs?

I believe all of my ewes have nothing but brown eyes in their lineage and since I don't really like blue eyes I don't want to change my flock, but I have a chance to get a ram lamb that I like in every aspect except his one blue eye.

Jack and Jaci