[Jacob-list] Opinion regarding "true Jacob"

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 14:53:24 EDT 2008

The conversation regarding the Jacob and its "trueness" is best framed in the
context of a rare breed. I sense some concern about the "breed standard"
which also is best framed in the context of a "rare breed" as well as type and
variety.

Standardized breeds of whatever are described by a standard that PRESCRIBES
what the "ideal" specimin looks like; e.g., color, carraige, horns, piebald
markings and fleece. It is a breeding guide and objective. Landrace breeds are
best described by a DESCRIPTIVE satabdard that takes into account the
variability. The conservator probably has greater affinity to the descriptive rather
than the standard prescriptibe standard. Hence a descriptive standard would
have reco0gnized, for example, those LINES within the breed that had the
piebald splash across the knee and presents a white front leg as portrayed by a
Jacobs Ladder.

Which might lead then to breeding programs, objectives and variability. If
we consider types of breediing programs some general types might have terms
like: inbreeding (close relatives), line breeding (related but not as closee as
inbreeding) whichk results in very uniform progeny....and then.... line
crossing (crossing lines within the breed) and crosss breeding (different breeds)
which generates high genetic vigor but at the cost of variability. Yes, line
crossing introduces variability. For example, the lilacs mentioned in some posts
are "pop-up" recessives for some breeders.

What the conservator wants to watch is presentasion of the breed defining
genetic material without the loss accruing from inbreeding and line breeding; use
of one sire or line that carries the potential liability related to "founder
effects". It will produce a "standard" look but at a cost of variability and
other gbreed traints. People often see the F1 flock ... which in relatity is
an F6,7, or 8 flock.

When considering some of the earlier mentioned traits (freckles, graying, UV
fading, and even ticking) we must also keep in mind that they are genetic
products of dominanr and recessive geness ... I guess it is geness with two
esses.

Sorry for the typows but I try my best to hit the right keys.

Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm
1165 E. Lucas Road
Lucas, TX 75002

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&
NCID=aolfod00030000000002)