[Jacob-list] Freckles & Leg Spots

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Tue Jun 3 20:45:30 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/3/2008 2:22:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:

I have quite a variation of Jacobs and I have observed, in my flock, that
the ones with no leg markings have the best quality fleeces and no
freckles....
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho

Hi Cathy,
That's been our experience too. A fair number of the Jacobs we've had/have
with leg spots also have freckling in their wool. We sort a lot of our wool by
color so we try to keep freckling in the white wool to a minimum.
Consequently, we tend toward Jacobs with white legs. Additionally, we find that the
white Jacob wool (which the white legged [sp?] sheep often have more of) tends to
be nicer then the black. We've been working hard to get consistency in our
fleeces from white wool to black, but even on the most consistent fleeces, the
black wool toward the back end is often slightly coarser then the white wool.

Karen L.
bide a wee farm

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.