[Jacob-list] Opinion regarding "true Jacob"

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Jun 3 19:35:00 EDT 2008

Even among breeders that don't register, isn't there an idea of what is a Jacob? I'm not talking about the 60/40 color or ideal facial markings or perfectly marked legs or the JSBA or JSC standard. I'm talking about the all black four horned rams in the post that Jaci sent. Maybe the breed standard is personal preference if you start out knowing what a Jacob is, but maybe it would keep someone from buying one of the rams advertised as a Jacob Sheep in Jaci's post. I sometimes get emails from people (not JSBA or JSC members) with pictures of their "prize" Jacobs. Some of the sheep are completely black except for the white cap, some of the ewes have no horns, some have four black legs, some are double coated, some just aren't Jacobs... on and on and on, yada, yada, yada. They bought these sheep from someone that told them they were Jacob Sheep. They are so excited to have their first "Jacobs". I know you are an ethical breeder and are familiar with other exotic sheep breeds and know that your Jacobs are Jacobs. But there sure are a bunch of breeders out there selling any sort of spotted/no horns or four horned/no spots sheep as a Jacob Sheep. I think the JSBA standard online might help prospective buyers make more informed decisions.

I really like the idea of having the breed characteristics posted somewhere during MSWF.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com