[Jacob-list] Opinion regarding "true Jacob"

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Jun 3 18:43:15 EDT 2008

In GENERAL, which means not always true and not supported at all by any research, sheep with a lot of leg flash (not just knee and hock spots) are more likely to be freckled or ticked. Notice how I am avoiding making any definite statement :-)

I have seen no correlation between leg markings (facial markings, hornset, body spotting, etc) and fleece quality. Most (not all) of my lilacs have been short on leg markings, but many lilacs have excellent leg markings. Lilacs are rarer and sometimes there is not as large a selection as when we are looking for blacks. There are lilac lines out there with "ideal" "perfect" markings. It's not the color that determines markings. If everyone selected for lilac without paying attention to anything except the color, we could end up with lilacs with poor markings, horns, fleeces, etc. Same as selecting for any specific trait without thought to other traits.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com