[Jacob-list] ] Opinion regarding "true Jacob"

Juliet & Gordon westergladstone at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 3 10:42:13 EDT 2008

As Neal pointed out, over here in Britain all leg markings are a 'fault'. This is something we personally are not happy about, but if you spoke to someone at a show here they would probably find 'American' type Jacobs strange. Looking at some of your websites, I find your sheep are often different to those we find over here, but they are lovely all the same and as much true Jacobs as any here.
Another obsession over here is black noses (pink noses allegedly crept in with some sneaky addition of Dorset blood which everyone now denies) If you don't have a black nose, forget it !!

In Scotland 4 horned animals are preferred whilst down in England 2 horned are the preference, although both types are found in both countries. In all 4 horned breeds, some 2 horned animals occur and it is simply individual preference which type any one person likes - both are true. Looking at the Hebrideans, our native Scottish 4 horned sheep, pure fashion has nearly caused the 4 horns to be lost. Only about 6% of lambs born currently are 4 horned, compared to over 60% in the 1980s. We have spotted the trend and are now doing something about it, which involves a lot of publicity and education about the 4 horned type. There is something special about 4 horned animals but it must be admitted that they are a little more difficult to handle and to get just perfect horns, so many breeders prefer the 2 horned variety. Do those of you who keep Navajo Churros find a similar situation?

I think the person your daughter overheard disparaging your sheep, Peggy, was trying to show off to whoever he was talking to, but just ended up sounding like a fool. Don't worry about it - you know your sheep are great and that's what matters.
Juliet in Scotland UK