[Jacob-list] Lamb Constipation

gotothewhip at aol.com gotothewhip at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 15:37:00 EDT 2008

View full size

Well the twins are improving every hour, and Mom has now come into milk.? Vet says she had no mastitis, but Edema.. no reason for it.. it is just a random deal,? She tested Negative for OPP... so thats not the issue.....He says her age (16 yrs) has nothing to do with it... So that removed some guilt I was feeling....

Babies are too cute.. Both Lilac!? the pics dont show it, but they are a blue-gray lilac.. I had hoped one would be the chocolate color of Mom... but I will take what I have!

.? I am still force feeding a bottle.. they suck pretty good once I pry their little mouths open.. I thought they were OK on mom, but I think they are still a bit slow getting around.. they nurse her well, but are not getting enough, and were NOT gaining.. and the ewe lamb got real sleepy and sedate yesterday, so we are back on the bottles.. I can only get about 2 oz down each of them every 4 hours.... going to try to push it to 6 hrs now, maybe they will be a bit more hungry.? They each gained 3 oz since yesterday.. Not quite enough, but not loosing either.? They are both 6 lbs 12 oz today!? The little boy has gained the most, as he was 8oz smaller at birth.

Both lamb have very thick poop.. its like a cross between hot glue and carmel taffy.? Im keeping their bumms wiped as it turns to concrete quickly.. I saw Mom trying to clean it off.. but to no avail......I read in a book to use 1 TBS of Castor Oil... Any input on this?? Im going to put some desitin on their butts today, and see if that helps with the stick factor of the poop.....

Jennifer Tucker
www.MooseMtnRanch.com