[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Sun Jan 27 18:56:49 EST 2008

The first sheep we bought was a Fieldwood ewe, Anna, who had originally been owned by Susanna Davies of Rockefeller Farms, then owned by Ruth Ross, and then myself.....in fact, a bit of Anna's story is mentioned in Ingrid's book on page 98......the ewe lamb out of Sheepside 8817 who was purchased by Ruth Ross. Betty's description of Fieldwoods was very accurate. The Fieldwoods I have seen also seem to have longer noses......sort of a more elongated face without the taper to the nose. They are definitely more chunky in appearance. Anna had a pigmented nose, white legs, a larger body build with a longer body.........but she also was primitive in behavior. She was the self appointed flock guardian, constantly was on the lookout for danger, didn't trust anybody or anything, guarded her lambs ferociously, and at times provoked me to some unsavory communication!!! Anna had beautiful, soft, luminescent fleece. Interestingly, Anna many times produced lambs with poor horn formation, many times lobster claw type formations, regardless of the ram that was used. She is no longer living -- she was a grand old girl and her memory remains with us. My husband still suffers from an arthritic, swollen thumb joint that is the result of an injury sustained as he wrestled with Anna -- we refer to it as his "Anna thumb!!"

Sue Martin
Stonecroft