[Jacob-list] Lambs

R. Unzicker runzicker at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 17:31:17 EST 2008

Hi Linda and "Others,"
Well, Carl beat me, not that we were really in a race. I guess my prediction skills are not so good this year. I just told Carl yesterday it would probably be a week to 10 days before we had any lambs. When I fed the ewes this morning Puddleduck Jana did not eat, just sort of stood arund, pawing once in a great while. At three this afternoon she finally delivered a ram. It is two hours later and still no afterbirth or second lamb yet so I guess I better keep an eye on her.
The good news/bad news is that 10 year old Rockies Gabriella developed pregnancy toximia Sun. She delivered one (dead) lamb an hour ago and seems to be working on a sceond. So sorry about the lambs but am hopefull that once she delivers she will recover. Gees, I hate seeing one on my favorite ewes feeling badly. My son and I were hiking the Grand Canyon Sat and Sun. When we got back to the top Sun I called Sue to see how things were going and she told me about Gabriella so I was very anxious to get home and tend to her.
Just looked at my calendar and see my first lambs last year was also born on Jan 9th. Hope the rest of the lambing season goes better.
Royal