[Jacob-list] Split Eyelids

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 13:11:14 EST 2008

Well.. I have now seen my first! I bought an unregistered ewe that had a
lovely soft dark fleece. I had hopes of getting her registered, and adding
some fresh bloodlines to my flock.....She has really nice conformation, and a
pretty horn set. She had a pair of twins. Both the ram and ewe have split
eyelids.

The ram lamb is a pretty significant split, and the ewe lamb is very mild,
and was not really noticeable until recently.

What is the situation. I have heard and read so many different things. IS
there a connection between breeding 4 horn to 4 horn? I don't know.. 95% of
my ewes are 4 horn.. and until this year... my flock had always used 4 horn
only rams (for years before i purchased it) and in my original flock, there
are NO split eyelids. I will say... I have had many 2 horn sheep born out of
my 4 horn ewes, bred to 4 horn rams... don't know if that factors in or not.

Then... Culling it out...... Is it a recessive gene? Is this likely being
carried by the adult ewe? I plan on culling the ewe lamb... and is this a
wise cull? Or am I over-reacting.....

Where can I find more about split eyelids?

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)