[Jacob-list] polled ewes

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Feb 22 18:47:05 EST 2008

It's more likely your ewe is hornless than polled. The hornless gene refers to a sex linked characteristic, where the rams have horns and the ewes don't. From my understanding of the genetics, since your ewe produced a four horned daughter, she most likely carries the gene for "horned in both sexes" along with the gene for "horned in rams only". Your hornless ewe cannot be registered, but her four horned daughter, who probably carries two "horned in both sexes" genes, can be if she meets the other standards. Since Fred's back, I hope he will explain the horn genetics beyond what I can. It's really fascinating.

JSBA did allow hornless ewes at the beginning, but hasn't for many years. The very limited genetics required more leeway than we currently need. It was expected that breeders would work towards horned ewes. We all benefiting from the hard work of those early breeders.

I haven't heard about using vinegar for longer fleeces, but some people swear on it for general good health - in people and sheep. I use it sometimes in the water tubs that aren't free flowing, as it helps to keep the algae growth down and there is no trouble with getting them to drink it. Here's an interesting link about cider vinegar and sheep. I haven't read it in awhile - it may mention fleece length: http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/24/24-1/Laurie_Ball-Gisch.html

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com